Los Angeles, CA (Headquarters)
As development assistant, you will advance the work of Mercy For Animals as our front-facing donor relations representative, helping coordinate gift acknowledgments, cultivate donors, steward gifts, and provide administrative assistance to the Development Department.
You will bring much-needed support to the Development Department by coordinating the influx of gift-related communications and responding in a timely and courteous manner to donors and third-party fundraisers.
You will do invaluable work:
- Draft and regularly update acknowledgment letters and process gift-related mail
- Regularly update and review donation records
- Serve as liaison to caging- and acknowledgment-processing vendors and submit check requests for vendor services
- Create reports as needed to assess development and annual giving performance
- Research major gift prospects and provide philanthropy team with reports
- Assist with portfolio-related data entry
- Scan and upload necessary documentation for record keeping
- Conduct in-person bank deposits
- Retrieve mail from Mercy For Animals’ post office box weekly
- Manage development materials stock
- Provide support to the Development Department during events and special campaigns
- Follow all organizational policies and procedures
- Perform any other duties assigned by supervisor
Your qualifications will take our development team to the next level:
- One year of professional experience in customer service, communications, or a related field
- Fundraising or nonprofit experience (preferred)
- Strong attention to detail and ability to follow Mercy For Animals’ style and editing guidelines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High level of organization and efficiency
- Self-motivation and ability to work well independently and under pressure
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet competing deadlines
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends and overtime during development events and heavy work periods
- Ability to work creatively and effectively as a team member
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Google Docs
- Experience with Salesforce or donor databases (preferred)
- Professional appearance and adherence to a vegan lifestyle
- Friendly, positive, and service-oriented personality
- Commitment to the mission and values of the organization
Is this the right fit? Absolutely, if this sounds like you:
I am highly organized and self-motivated, with a knack for devising out-of-the-box solutions to complex problems. Globally minded, I am adept at culturally competent communications. As a vegan, I am passionate about the mission, vision, and values of Mercy For Animals.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $30,000–$38,000, depending on qualifications. Our paid-time-off policy, including 20 vacation days a year, staff-appreciation days, holidays, and sick leave is as generous as our no- or low-cost health insurance. We also offer a 401(k) plan, not to mention a collaborative and innovative work environment.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications, so be sure to clearly convey in your cover letter your general fit for the role. A few things we would love to learn about are professional experience, internships, volunteer work, and side projects, as well as your overall alignment with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization, and we value diverse perspectives and backgrounds. Potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability are encouraged to apply. We are committed to providing an inclusive, positive, respectful, safe, and supportive work environment where equal opportunities are available to all team members.